Bamboo is a very fast-growing, easy-to-grow, extremely useful plant.
Bamboo is a versatile and robust addition to the garden that grows in both tropical and temperate environments. It is very hardy, not needing pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilisers to grow well. It has a great number of uses in your garden and home, making great garden trellises, fencing, screens, hedges and even furniture. Bamboo is great for solving hedge and view/privacy issues. With some creativity, there are many uses for Bamboo in gardens.
There are over 1,500 species of bamboo and it fits well into many garden styles from tropical to modern. Bamboo is a type of grass with most species maturing in 3-5 years. Like other ornamental grasses, bamboo can provide that much needed textural interest to your garden and pairs well with contrasting bigger, bold-leafed plants.
There are many varieties of Bamboo and each has its own unique characteristics. We only sell clumping varieties of Bamboo not running ones that spread.
Bamboo varieties we stock at Tropical Treasures
Bambusa Fairy Bamboo
- Lovely weeping habit
- Grows to 3 meters
Bambusa White Wings
- Has lovely silver/white canes
- Grows to 3 meters and grows upright
- Perfect to create privacy
- Grows to 4 meters
- Most popular bamboo
- Grows to 7 meters
Benefits of bamboo
- Matures in 3-5 years
- Grows well in a wide range of environments
- Many uses: garden trellises, fencing, screens and hedges
- Requires no pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilisers to grow well
- Grows rapidly
- Requires no irrigation
- Rarely needs replanting
- Balance’s amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere
- Produces more oxygen than trees
- Consumes more carbon dioxide than any other plant
- Carbon neutral
- Great for inhibiting soil erosion